iWorkTipsnTricks Forum Index iWorkTipsnTricks

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
NEWS:
Templates

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWorkTipsnTricks Forum Index -> Pages TipsnTricks  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeterBreis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Templates Reply with quote

Templates

Pages documents are usually just files that you type in, change and save. What you see is what you get.

Templates are ready made predesigned documents, like those in the Template Chooser, containing reusable text, images and layout that you open, change and then save with another name. The original template file does not change.

To reuse the document as a template:

Menu > File > Save as Template…

If you save it to the default location, it will appear in a third category My Templates in the Template Chooser when you start a fresh document.

To change a template you need to save the changed version over the existing template using the same name.

You can not change Apple's templates because they are actually stored within the application itself.

Pages has 2 levels of templating

1. The template of the whole document.

2. The layouts of pages within that document.

The alternate Sections (in Word Processing mode) or Layouts in (Layout mode) are templates within the document that you choose from the Toolbar when you want new pages.

To "Capture" the 2nd kind and have them included in your document, go to the page:

Menu > Format > Advanced > Capture Pages…

Users need to be aware that changes on a page will not repeat themselves unless you capture that page.

If you do not capture your changes, new pages and layouts will still follow the previously captured page designs.

This can be very disconcerting to new users as the interface gives you no clue as to what is happening, nor what captured page is applied where in the document. The user must be constantly aware and retain in their head what has happened, even for documents created some time ago.

This is poor user interface design, as is evidenced by the number of users who are not aware of what is going on, let alone understand it. It does not communicate what is happening and can not be inspected by switching to a view of the pre-set designs as is common in every other DTP application. It also doesn't allow direct editing of the pre-set designs.

To alter those it is necessary to change an example and save it over the previous version with exactly the same name. This is clumsy and easily leads to mistakes the user is not aware of where slightly different names stay as 2 separate designs in a document.
PeterBreis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Removing Custom Templates Reply with quote

Removing Custom Templates

The templates that you see in the Templates Chooser are stored in a folder inside your System:

Hard Drive/Users/YourAccount*/Library/Application Support/iWork/Pages/Templates/My Templates

Find and trash the one/s you don't want.

* YourAccount is whatever your User Account is called (different for everybody.

OSX 10.7 (Lion) users may need to reveal their hidden System Folder by going to Finder and holding down the option key and clicking on the Go menu
davebates3

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Making / saving a PAGES template from an existing letterhead Reply with quote

I have an existing letterhead that I would like to save under "My Templates" within "PAGES".

Can this be done, and do I need a scanner to do so?

daveB
PeterBreis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly, although the best method would be to recreate it as a Pages file not just a scan.

The scan will have problems with sharpness and color reproduction, plus of course you can't edit details when you need to.

If the document uses halftones to reproduce images you will also have a problem with moire patterns, which are interference patterns between the grids used in the halftone and the grid used by your scanner. These can be hard to eliminate.

You scan images into your Mac using Preview or your scanner's software. Make sure you scan the size accurately, have the image absolutely square and high enough resolution for reproduction ie 300dpi for color and at least 600dpi for black and white.
davebates3

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: PLACNG MY LETTERHEAD INTO "PAGES" Reply with quote

Thanks for the QUICK response earlier today !

The letterhead has a simple B&W line drwing of a building. No halftones. No color. The rest is type.

You say "recreate it as a PAGES file." How do I do that to capture the line drawing without a scanner?

Can you tell, I'm computer challenged? At 72 - computers and I do not exactly interface readily. "Electronic intercourse" really isn't likely to be a topic for discussion . . . and no cute remarks, please.
Rolling Eyes Thank you . . . daveB
PeterBreis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you divide the work into 2 parts.

1. The Text - retype it in the same position and style in a TextBox

2. The Graphics which you can scan or redraw if it is simple

Most Macs also have a camera inbuilt. Not ideal but you could hold up your work to the camera and take a picture of it.

If you have a scanner, as I said, make sure it is dead square and scan it at 1200dpi Black & White which is nice high resolution.

Open that scan in Preview.app and crop away everything but the graphic you want, then copy paste that into Pages and position it where you want it.

I can go into further details if there is a step you do not quite follow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWorkTipsnTricks Forum Index -> Pages TipsnTricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: