iWorkTipsnTricks Forum Index iWorkTipsnTricks

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
NEWS:
Reverting back to Pages '09 from Pages 5
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWorkTipsnTricks Forum Index -> iWork suite for OSX 10.9 Maverick  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeterBreis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reverting back to Pages '09 from Pages 5 Reply with quote

Reverting back to Pages '09 from Pages 5

Any previous iWork '08 or '09, or Pages '09 on your Mac or migrated installation from one Mac to another, will have been moved to an iWork folder inside your Applications folder and will still work.

Clicking on any Pages file no matter what version however will open that file in Pages 5.

Pages '08 files can not be opened in Pages 5 and must be converted to Pages '09 files by opening and resaving them in Pages '09.

Pages '09 files opened in Pages 5, iCloud Pages beta, or iOS Pages 2 may be severely altered, with any features missing in Pages 5 removed or damaged.

Archiving or trashing Pages 5 will prevent accidentally opening older files.

An untested method of retaining Pages 5 for occasional use is to make a .dmg file of it with Disk Utility, then open the .dmg file and open Pages 5 from there.

Last edited by PeterBreis on Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
PeterBreis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reinstalling Pages '08 and Pages '09

Make sure that you update both Pages '08 and Pages '09 when reinstalling from scratch:

iWork '09 4.3 updater

Pages '08 3.03 updater
PeterBreis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Converting Pages 5 files back to older versions Reply with quote

Converting Pages 5 files back to older versions

Pages 5 can export to various formats:

Menu > File > Export To > PDF, Word, txt, ePub and Pages '09

Due to differences in capabilities and features those conversions will to some extent lack the style and layout of either the Pages 5 document or the target document.
PeterBreis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Making Pages '09 the default whilst keeping Pages 5 Reply with quote

Making Pages '09 the default whilst keeping Pages 5

1. Move any new iWork apps in another clearly labelled folder

2. Menu > Apple > System Preferences > Spotlight > Privacy > drag the above folder into the list

2) Move the new iWork folder into the trash (temporarily)

3) Select any Pages file in Finder > Menu > Info (cmd+i) > Open with: > Pages '09 > Change all

4) Re the new iWork folder from the trash (right-click > Put back)

Pages 5 should no longer appear as a default App, and you won't have to keep a copy in a separate drive or dmg.

IMPORTANT: Make a note of where and how Pages was installed for the next App Store update and temporarily move it back there before putting it away again in the folder concealed from Spotlight.
PeterBreis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Turning off Auto update from the App Store Reply with quote

Turning off Auto update from the App Store

By default auto-update is on in the App Store and will update your software without you knowing or will pester you to constantly update even if you keep saying no.

The App Store preferences are not in the App Store application but in:

Menu > Apple > System Preferences > App Store > uncheck Automatically check for updates
PeterBreis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Buying iWork '09 Reply with quote

Buying iWork '09

If you missed out on ever having iWork '09 or can't find your original installers, you can purchase it from:

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MB942Z-A-iWork-VERSION/dp/B0014X2UAK/ref=sr_1_1?s=software&ie=UTF8&qid=1385593921&sr=1-1&keywords=iwork

http://www.amazon.com/iWork-Family-Pack-OLD-VERSION/dp/B001AMGSNK/ref=sr_1_2?s=software&ie=UTF8&qid=1385593921&sr=1-2&keywords=iwork

Search the 'Net, there should be other sources as well.

Make sure you update all the Apps to the latest version. The installer is versions X.0.

If you deleted it and can not find your original installers or bought it from Apple's App Store, trying contacting Apple, especially if you got it from the App Store, and remind them that you are a paying customer and see if they can let you access your software from their sites.
Hedgehog

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: Making Pages '09 the default whilst keeping Pages 5 Reply with quote

PeterBreis wrote:

2. Menu > Apple > System Preferences > Spotlight > Privacy > drag the above folder into the list

3) Select any Pages file in Finder > Menu > Info (cmd+i) > Open with: > Pages '09 > Change all

Pages 5 should no longer appear as a default App, and you won't have to keep a copy in a separate drive or dmg.

IMPORTANT: Make a note of where and how Pages was installed for the next App Store update and temporarily move it back there before putting it away again in the folder concealed from Spotlight.

These instructions bear no relation to my Mavericks...
I don't understand Step 1 above.
My computer screen bears no relation to Step 3
PeterBreis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Step 1 You are just moving any new Pages, Numbers or Keynote to another folder (calling it anything you want) then telling Spotlight not to look in that folder.

Step 3 You are getting Info on a sample Pages File in Finder and telling the Mac to open all .pages files with Pages '09 which is still visible to it.

Where are you going wrong?

Be specific don't be vague.
Fiber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: Making Pages '09 the default whilst keeping Pages 5 Reply with quote

PeterBreis wrote:

Thanks for the above. I'll certainly be giving it a try.

May I mention my own quick-and-dirty solution to this problem? I put Pages '09 in my Login Items (and checked Hide). Pages documents then open in the already-running '09.
PeterBreis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject: Downloading iWork '09 from the App Store for free Reply with quote

Downloading iWork '09 from the App Store for free

Go to the App Store in a previous Operating System such as Mountain Lion and search for Pages, Numbers and Keynote.

It will find the latest Mavericks versions. Click on Install and it will ask for your Apple I.D. and log-in.

Click on Install again and it will show this message:

Download an older version of this app?

The current version requires OSX 10.9 or later, but you can download the last compatible version.

Cancel or Download

Click on Download and you will get the iWork '09 Apps.

This is working for me, however I already own iWork '09 and have downloaded the Mavericks versions for free, so do not know if this is a precursor requirement for this to happen or Apple is simply letting users download iWork '09 on systems prior to Mavericks for free.

Anyone who has a clean system which has never had iWork installed and who has not updated to Mavericks please let us know what happens.
Peggy
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't take the time to install a clean version of OS X on a drive, but I did erase the installed iWork '09 on two different Macs, one running Snow Leopard & one running Mountain Lion. I made sure I was signed out of my usual Apple ID & logged into the Mac App Store on both Macs with my second Apple ID that I don't use for purchases.

On the Snow Leopard Mac, OS X 10.6.8, I was not offered the older version of Pages & just got a message that Mavericks was required.

On the Mountain Lion Mac, OS X 10.8.5, I did get the offer to download the previous compatible version.

When I get a chance, I will install a clean version of Mountain Lion on an external drive & use another Apple ID I know has never been associated with the Mac App Store & report what happens.
Shirley Allan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Pages 5 and Pages '09 co existing Reply with quote

Following Peter's instructions (Making Pages '09 the Default) I have both Pages5 and Pages '09 co existing running Mavericks. The only thing I would add is: Pages 5 can be opened and used and Pages 09 can also be opened and used separately. BE SURE THAT THE APP YOU WANT TO USE IS OPEN FIRST. If you try to open a Pages 09 document while Pages 5 is active, it will tell you that you must have the new app to open it (which of course you already have but it is hidden from Spotlight).

Thanks Peter, you have saved me more than once in the past and now yet again!
Shirley Allan, Palm Desert, California
kpsolmundson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Opening docs with pages 4.3 Reply with quote

PLEASE HELP!
I am working on my masters thesis and the citation program papers using applescript in pages no longer exists in pages 5.0! It does in 4.3. The problem is all of my writing has been in 5.0 and I've been trying to follow the advice in these posts and it is NOT working for me! I am tech challenged and desperate!
I have OS 10.9.1
I have both pages 5.0 and 4.3 on my laptop
I've tried the hiding pages 5.0 with the spotlight trick along with the updated numbers and keynote and have set pages 4.3 as my default
I've put pages 4.3 back in my dock
Still I can't open any document or the 4.3 application itself - the msg reads "you need a newer version of pages to open..."
PLEASE ADVISE!!! I am up against time deadlines right now and hopeful for any guidance. THANK YOU!
Kara (Canada)
purtypitcher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here was my experience. I have iWork '09 on my iMac, and it was installed there from a DVD Family Box Set. Running OSX 10.7.5

Have a new Retina Macbook Pro, but early 2013 model that came with Mountain Lion. Tried Peter's suggestion on downloading iWork '09 for free. When I searched for iWork in the App Store from the new Macbook, App Store found the three 2013 iWork apps. When I tried to download them, it did not give the "Download an older version of this app" option.

What it gave me was the option to download iWork, and it said it would also include a download of OSX Mavericks. Which sounded to me like it would no longer download the '09 version, but only the 2013 version, along with the required OS update to run them.

I clicked to download, and it started downloading a 5.31 GB file. Once the download was complete, I now have an "Install OS X Mavericks" app in my applications folder. I don't see any apps to install of the 2013 iWork bundle, but when I go back to the App Store, all three of them are listed as "Install". Don't know if that means they also came with the Mavericks install package, or are still waiting to be downloaded after I upgrade to Mavericks.

Fortunately, I still have the iWork '09 install DVD, so what I did was put it back in the iMac DVD drive and make a Disk Image of it. I then drug that Disk Image to the new Macbook via File Sharing over my wifi. I was able to then open the installer, install the three '09 apps, and then update them through the App Store to the x.3 versions. Yay!

The updated '09 apps do not show up as Purchases in my App Store, but the 2013 versions do, with the "Install" button showing.

So, it it kind of looking like the only way now to get the '09 versions is to use the original DVD, and, in my case, because my Macbook Pro Retina does not have a DVD drive, I had to drag a Disk Image of it over from my iMac. I guess you could also use the portable Super Drive. Hope this helps someone.
Shirley Allan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Successful use of both Pages apps Reply with quote

I have been successful in opening a Pages '09 document and a Pages 5 document at the same time. I used the Pages '09 document to prepare a lesson on Pages 5 (since I am quicker on Pages '09). It was easy to capture screen shots of Pages 5 (customize tool bar, sidebar inspectors) and use them in Pages '09. It is not compete yet but I'm learning as I go too.

I did find that in adding Pages 5 to my iMac that I needed to reset my Pages Preferences and tool bar in '09.

Thanks again to Peter for giving us this work around to use both versions of Pages!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWorkTipsnTricks Forum Index -> iWork suite for OSX 10.9 Maverick All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: